Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Blogtember: Change

Tuesday, September 10: Describe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

Life is full of change. I can certainly think of a few moments in my life that came with big changes. When I accepted Christ as my Savior, when Jason and I started dating and when we got married, when we bought our house, and when we brought a new pup into our family- all of these were big changes. But the change I want to talk about today is work related.

I graduated from pharmacy school in May 2011. I interviewed with a lot of retail companies (the area I had the most experience in) but didn't receive any offers. I finally found a part time job working two days a week about an hour away. I was thankful to have a job, but being part time was not going to work long term. Jason owns his construction company which means no insurance and often times no steady income. 

I started looking for other opportunities toward the end of that summer. There were not a lot of full time jobs in our area so I also applied for a couple of part time positions to fill in when needed. I thought if I could at least get more hours that would help some.

It took so long to hear anything back from any of the places I applied that I really thought those doors were closed. I was so excited the day I got the call to interview at a hospital very close to us.

When I went in for the interview they remembered me from my time there during my last year of school. I was interviewing for a fill in when needed position, but they happened to have a full time opening. I was offered the job. The only catch was that it was a night shift position. I would work 10 hours a night for seven nights then have the next week off.

I went home to talk to Jason about it, and we ultimately decided that it would be best for us if I did take the position. I started working nights in January 2012. It has certainly taken a lot of adjustment. Learning to sleep during the day wasn't as bad as I thought it would be since we lived in the basement with no windows in our bedroom! It can be very difficult to transition back to a normal schedule on my off week. And it is definitely not ideal to only get to go to sleep with my husband every other week. Often times I feel I have a job one week, then the next week I am a stay at home housewife. 

Even with all the adjustment, I am so thankful that God gave me such a great opportunity. I like what I do and the people that I work with. And of course I really enjoy the weeks I have off!


No comments:

Post a Comment