Sunday after church we went to see the movie Courageous. Jason and I had already seen it, but I wanted Charles and Mom and Dad to see it too. It is an amazing movie with such a great story and message. It is geared toward fathers and fatherhood, but I believe anyone could learn something important and life-changing from the movie.
Some of the things I love about the movie:
1. It does not glamorize the Christian life. The men in this movie and their families face challenges, tragedies, and difficult decisions. God never promised that as a Christian our lives would be easy; He only promised that He would be with us always. Trusting God through our difficult times will only bring us closer to Him.
1 Peter 4:12-13
"Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad- for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world." (NLT)
2. It shows how God works in mysterious ways. His thoughts are higher than our thoughts and only He knows what is best. Something we might look at as terrible or tragic, He can make into something amazing and something that brings Him all the glory.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." (NLT)
3. It teaches us that as Christians we are held to a higher standard. We are responsible for our own actions. When we know what is right that is what we must do!
"But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in the mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it." (NLT)
4. The movie clearly outlines the good news of the gospel!
We are all sinners and deserve judgement from God who is holy and righteous. Because God loves us so incredibly much He sent His son, Jesus, to die on the cross for all of our sins. Jesus paid our debt and took the judgement for us! Jesus made a way for us to be reconciled to our creator, God. All we have to do is accept His gift of grace and salvation and surrender our lives completely to Him!
"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (NLT)
5. The movie also teaches us that we were made to be courageous!
The definition of courageous is "not deterred by danger or pain; brave". God calls us to be courageous- standing firm in the midst of all circumstances. The only way we can truly be courageous is by relying on the strength and power of God.
2 Timothy 1:7
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (NLT)
These are just a few of the lessons from the movie, Courageous. My prayer after this movie is that God would help me be courageous for Him. The only way that is possible is to bow to Him. I want to end this post with a line from the Casting Crowns song in the movie...
"The only way we'll ever stand is on our knees with lifted hands; Lord, make us courageous!"